Protection of Navigation
Education and training exercises are carried out with the participation of all maritime security stakeholders (naval forces, law enforcement elements, maritime administration, and international organizations). The activities, which held in the past and detailed below, can continue to be carried out in MARSEC COE coordination.
i. Deniz Güvenliği ve Deniz Haydutluğu ile Mücadele Kursu
The Course on Counter Piracy and Maritime Security took place five times in total between November 12-23, 2012 as the first; the second on November between 18-29, 2013; the third on June between 9-13, 2014; the fourth on April between 13-17, 2015; and the last one on May between 2-6, 2016. The purpose of the course was to inform participants about the Maritime Security Operation, Maritime Situational Awareness and Maritime Counter Piracy.
ii. Naval Coordination and Guidance for Shipping Course (NCAGS)
Naval Coordination and Guidance for Shipping Course has been carried out twice in total between 10-14 November 2014 and 23-27 November 2015. The course aims to provide the trainees with the necessary information on how to operate NCAGS procedures in crisis and non-crisis situations. Lessons given to course participants are listed below;
- Basis Principles of NCAGS,
- NCAGS Publications,
- Organizations related to NCAGS,
- Reporting Formats and Procedures,
- Guidance and Convoy Procedures,
- Maritime Situational Awareness,
- ISPS Code,
- Maritime Piracy,
- Maritime Law,
- Systems used within NCAGS,
- Routing, Navigation and Crisis Response Plans,
- Messaging Procedures,
- Communication with Other Operational Departments.
iii. The Ship Security Team/Armed Private Security Personnel Awareness Course
The Ship Security Team/Armed Private Security Staff Awareness course was conducted on 1-12 April 2013. Lessons given to course participants are listed below;
- Definition and Characterization of Maritime Piracy,
- The use of maritime jurisdiction areas and the rights and authorities to use weapons of countries in these areas,
- Opinions and Circulars published by IMO on PCASP,
- ISPS, BMP and PCASP Practices,
- Measures taken against the maritime piracy of the Gulf of Aden and the Somali Basin,
- Italy and Netherlands VPD practices and Lessons Learned,
- Deployment of VPD to commercial vessel,
- VPD practices on tactical level in Command chain etc.
- Practical Training showing VPD Organization,
- Private Security Companies’ Practices,
- PCASP Practices in Germany,
- United Nations Approach to VPD/PCASP and Bargaining Techniques with Maritime Pirates.